Computational Linguistics, Natural Language Processing (NLP) and Language Technology in general.
Annotation, Part of Speech Annotation and local word grouping in particular. Language of Current Focus: Hindi.
Corpus Linguistics, Lexical Resource Creation, Linguistic Typology, Language Documentation, Minority/Endangered or Lesser Known Languages of India.
1. Is Pnar a Dialect of Khasi? presented at the 49th Linguistic Society of India Conference at NEHU, Shillong, Meghalaya, India. 30th Nov.-2nd Dec., 2004. (Abstract published)
2. Language Technology Support for Endangered Languages in South Asia paper accepted (but not read) at South Asia as a Linguistic Area (SALA), Mysore, Karnataka, INDIA Nov.19-21, 2006
3. Morphological Analyzer for Great Andamanese Verbs: Implementing a Concatenative Template. March, 2007. Co-authored by Anvita Abbi and Girish Nath Jha, in Vishwabharat ( April 2007 - January 2008 Journal) TDIL, New Delhi, pp.113-118 http://tdil.mit.gov.in/april-jan-2008/8.8_Morphological_analyzer.pdf
4. Syllable Structure of Great Andamanese, November, 2006. In proceedings of National Seminar on Perspectives in Linguistics, Kashmir University, Srinagar, Kashmir. India 2007. Pp. 141-146
5. बोधात्मक भाषाविज्ञान , in Gaveshanaa, April-June, 2008 vol.:90/2008 Central Institute of Hindi, Agra. 2008. pp.:11-18 (This is a translation of the article “Cognitive Linguistics” from Encyclopedia of Linguistics by Gilles Falkner, 2006)
6. Web-drawn corpus in Indian Languages: A Case of Hindi. Forthcoming. In Proceedings of ICISIL-2011. Poster accepted.
Research & Work Experiences
1. Project Associate, CSE, IIT Kanpur, May, 2005-June, 2005.
2. Hindi cum Computer GUI Expert, Microsoft India, Inc., March, 2006 (Contract Basis).
3. Research Assistant, SOAS-UK & JNU, New Delhi, August, 2005-July, 2007.
4. Teaching Assistant, Centre for Linguistics and Special Centre for Sanskrit Studies, JNU, New Delhi, August, 2007-July, 2008.
5. Research Assistant, Microsoft Research India, Bangalore, May, 2008 – July, 2008. (Contract basis through university)
6. Senior Linguist, Indian Languages Corpora Initiative, Special Centre for Sanskrit Studies, JNU, New Delhi. March, 2009 -October, 2010.
7. Freelance consultant to various national and international industry entities in the arena of language and language technology, since 2002.
Participations at Academic Events
1. Prof M. B. Emeanou Centenary Conference on South Asian Linguistics at Mysore, Karnataka, INDIA. Jan. 1-4, 2005.
2. V Asian GLOW. at Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi. October 5-8, 2005.
3. Third Students' Conference of Linguistics in India (SCONLI-3), Centre for Linguistics, Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi. 19-21 February, 2009. (as Student Co-ordinator)
4. 4th International Sanskrit Computational Linguistics Symposium. Special Centre for Sanskrit Studies, Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi. 10-12 December, 2010.
1. National Workshop on Translation: Theory and Practice at M.S. University Baroda, Baroda, Gujarat, INDIA. Feb. 3-5, 2005.
2. Verb Analyzer for Great Andamanese a slide show presented at 28th All India Conference of Linguists, BHU, Varanasi, UP, INDIA Nov, 2-4, 2006.
3. Linguistic Survey of India Summer Camp at CIIL, Mysore, Karnataka. INDIA. May21-June30, 2007
4. Status of Unwritten and Endangered Languages of Arunachal Pradesh. Arunachal Institute of Tribal Studies (AITS), Rajiv Gandhi University, Itanagar. 15-17 November, 2010.
1. Ph. D. Thesis Title: Automatic Identification and Analysis of Verb Groups in Hindi. JNU. 2006-Continuing.
2. M. Phil. Dissertation Title: Developing a Computational Framework for the Verb Morphology of Great Andamanese. JNU, New Delhi, 2006.
3. National Eligibility Test for Lectureship (NET -December, 2003; June, 2004) of the UGC
4. Masters (Linguistics), JNU, New Delhi, 2004.
5. Bachelor of Arts (English Hons., Economics, History, Hindi), LNMU, Darbhanga, 2001.
Linguistic Society of India, Life Member
Association of Computing Machinery, 2010-2011
i. Well versed with MS Windows, all editions; Acquainted with Linux environment.
ii. MS Office, Toolbox (the linguistic software of SIL), Adobe Premiere, Apache Tomcat 4.0, Apache HTTP Server; Praat, Dreamweaver. Adobe Photoshop with Image Ready. SDL-Trados Suite.
iii. MySQL 5; MSSQL Server 2005
iv. JAVA, PHP, C++, Perl, Prolog, LISP, CSS, HTML
Well Versed with Expertise: English, Hindi, Maithili
Academic Knowledge: Sanskrit, Pnar (Jaintia), Great Andamanese
Reading, Writing, Music, Cricket (erstwhile), Yoga, Swimming, Mountaineering.