Dr Arup Kumar Nath is currently working as an Assistant Professor of Linguistics in the Department of English and Foreign Languages, Tezpur University, Assam. He has graduated his MA in Linguistics from Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi. He completed his PhD in Linguistics from the same University in 2011.
Dr Nath’s areas of interest include from theoretical linguistics such as Morphology, Language Typology, and Multilingualism to applied linguistics like Computational Linguistics, Lexicography and Language Documentation.
He has taught both post graduate and under graduate courses in JNU and Tezpur University. He was also associated with various research projects at Jawaharlal Nehru University (New Delhi), Indira Gandhi National Centre for the Arts (New Delhi), and the Centre for Assamese Studies, Tezpur University (Assam). While pursuing his PhD in New Delhi, he worked as a Casual News Reader cum Translator in the Assamese/Arunachali language wing of All India Radio. He has also experience of working with Google India Private Limited as a Language Specialist for one year.
His recent research works include:
a) Book (forthcoming): Code Switching- Mixing Induced Changes in Modern Assamese and their Future Implications to be published by Assam Publication Board, (Asom Prakashan Parishad) Bamunimoidam, Guwahati.
b) Book Chapters:
1) ‘Evidences of Sound Changes in Tiwa: A Synchronic Study’ has been published in the book ‘Studies in Linguistics of the North Eastern Languages’ edited by Awadesh K Mishra, Melissa G. Wallang and Ch. Sarajubala Devi, (2013) published by Lakshi Publishers and Distributors, New Delhi bearing the ISBN 978-81-906622-7-7. 2)
2) ‘Tiwa: An Overview’ has been accepted in the book ‘Languages of Assam: An Introduction’ edited by Prof. M.M. Sarma and Dr. Gautam K Bora and will be published by Assam Academy for Cultural Relations, Guwahati.
3) Contributed two chapters in Assamese and English on the Tiwa Language for the proposed volume of ‘Peoples’ Linguistic Survey of India’ (Assam Volume) which will be published by Bhasha Research and Publication Centre, Baroda, India, and compiled by Ganesh N Devy.
c) Journals (Peer reviewed):
1. ‘Revitalizing Tiwa Language: The Phenomena of Language Shift and Maintenance’ has been published in the International Journal ‘Language Forum’, Vol.37. No.2. July-Dec, 2011 (ISSN 0253-9071).
2. "Sound Change in Deori: A Descriptive Account" has been published in the Journal of Universal Language, Volume 13 Number 2 (ISSN 1598-6381, September, 2012 Issue, An International Journal) Language Research Institute, Sejong University, Seoul, South Korea.
3. A paper titled (in Assamese) ‘Khudra Bhasabor Xosakoi-e Jiyai Thakibone’ (Translation: Will the smaller languages survive?) is published in Prakax, Vol-7, November 2012, ISSN- 2279-0683 published by Assam Publication Board, Govt. of Assam.
Dr Nath has also presented papers in different national and international seminars and conferences along with attending a few workshops as a Resource person.